THE TOLEDO ICE YACHT CLUB IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU OR DECLARING THE ICE IS SAFE. Before reading, please review our safety.
Ice reports are coming in from all over Ohio and Michigan Here is what I know of as of Friday morning…
- Lake Charlevoix@Boyne City – Looking good with 3″ of ice and dusted with Fluff snow. Report later today?
- Lake Lansing – is expected to be sailed (no sailed report yet). About 1″ snow.
- Lake Whitmore -has been walked there were runner tracks seen on the ice. About 1″ Snow.
- Anchor Bay/Lake St. Clair – Going to be scouted today by US99
- (Sounds Like US3 will make a call for Whitmore or St. Clair for scrub racing group).
( I know, not Ohio or Michigan but gets more love from the central region than the Western Region)
- Lake Wawasee ,Syracuse In. – 3/4 of the lake on the east end has 6″ of smooth ice under 1″of powdered snow there is also a ridge in the middle of that area. The west end should be avoided and has open water and newly frozen ice under snow. There is a public launch on the so.east end of the lake. We will be sailing all weekend. If you go sailing contact anybody sailing for a rundown on conditions. – Rick Lemberg DN4155
- Chippewa Lake – is a small lake SW of Cleveland that has been sailed this week.
- Sandusky Bay – Still open water near the Sailing Club, so they will launch in the east-bay at Big Island Canoe Launch, at Pipe Creek Wildlife Area. https://goo.gl/maps/D47BuRCtPiB2
- Put-In-Bay is being sailed on a nice small plate in the harbor.
- Maumee Bay – Has been sailed. Open Water spots have healed, and will likely be in excess of 3″ thick by Saturday. Ice is at 5″+ thickness on average and is very hard. One Inexplicable Tree Stump frozen in surface in deeper water near Grassy island (will be flagged for easier visibility). A few lines of rip-rap ice going through bay will make picking a race course tricky. (they are passable, but pretty dang bumpy). Might only get .5-.6 mile course, unless we find a way to integrate these Lines into a course, perhaps by all-port-tack starts keeping on a diamond course….
- The Toledo Ice Yacht Club will likely hold scrub races if they can find a safe course for the number of boats that arrive, or we will have to split the fleet up for safety purposes…
NEXT WEEKEND: TIYC-ORYC WINTERFEST!! The forecast looks good for continued ice conditions at Maumee Bay and there will be parties, food, entertainment, racing, and all sorts of odd ice, snow, and flying machines abound! http://tiyc.net/toledo-ice-yacht-club-winter-fest-2016/